Pages

Friday, April 3, 2015

Bruce new system using the Orphek Atlantiks

Bruce new system using the Orphek Atlantiks Bruce is a customer of ours who has just recently started his new install.  Bruce will tell you in his own words and photos about his new system using the Orphek Atlantiks. bruce-new-system-using-the-orphek-atlantiks
Hi James, Below is link to some photos and videos. When I started the setup i had everything except the stand.
While I was building the stand I decided I did not want to use the brand new 72" metal halide fixture with T-5s and Leds for night. I did not want the heat and the electrical cost of the halides and my chiller, I still have both on hand but will be selling them.
stand-aquarium
I purchased 2 of the Orphek  WiFi Atlantiks ver. 2.1b from you. I had 2 Aqua C EV-240 skimmers with mag 18 pumps which I started with, I also tried an SCA 301 skimmer which they say is good for 180 gallons more like 75 gallon.
I would love to try one of the Orphek Helix 5000 skimmers but for now I have modified my old Euro Reef CS 8-2 and it is working well,
lots less noise than the Aqua C and a constant height in the skimmer putting about 1000 gallons of water and i figure around 2000 lh of air. I have about 20,000 gallons per hour circulation in the display tank, total system volume 300 gallons. I am currently running reactors for pellets, GFO and GAC, I have not set up my calcium reactor yet. The other day I realized the tank has only been set up three months. This is the first time i have used LED lighting and it took me about a month to figure out my best settings.
orphek-atlantik
My lights are currently six inches above the tank, which means they are 32" above the bottom glass. This is also the first time I have gone bare bottom. I found if you are buying frags under 400W metal halides or leds just put your frags where you want them, no acclimation to the lighting.
Orphek-atlantik-over-bruce-tank
I have SPS at the top of the tank and even at the bottom but the couple of LPS I have are are toward the bottom. I did go through the diatom bloom and the hair algae, I had a couple of coral frags die from too much too soon. The only green besides corals is the macro algae and green coralline algae. I have a 3 head candy cane that the heads are starting to split after a few weeks. All my green monti caps are now blue or purple. No real water changes since setup except when a hose came off mag drive 18 pump and put about 60 gallons of water on my wood floor.
aquarium-rockes Current water parameter, Temp runs 79.4 to 80.6, SG 1.025, PH 8.2 to 8.4 Calcium 420, Alk 8.4 DKH, magnesium 1580-1640, nitrates about 2 phosphate 0 limited by small amounts of algae. Make up water is with micron argonite powder, if need more calcium then with kalk or kalk and vinegar, goes through 2-3 gallons of evaporated water a day. Thank goodness for my 300 gallon a day R/O DI system no buckets or drums lying around except one 5 gallon bucket.
People buy corals based on names and color, i have been buying based on low price and good health as I already know most SPS and even some LPS will change colors no matter what you do. I my corals change colors I do not care as long as they are blue, violet, purple, green, yellow, pink, red and even multi color, just not ugly brown.
frag-corals

No comments:

Post a Comment